Data protection and privacy issues impact on all business and industry sectors across the globe. Compliance with the law and protecting individuals’ privacy is not just a legal issue. Failure to respect people’s privacy or ensure security of their data can severely damage a company’s brand and influence consumer buying decisions. It is also an area for increased sectoral regulatory focus, particularly in the financial services sector.
We are able to cover the full range of data protection and privacy issues including:
- advising both on proactive measures to be adopted by business to address data security and dealing with the response to data security breaches.
- the full range of data protection issues arising for employers including monitoring at work and processing of sensitive personal data.
Freedom of information
- advising both public and private sector bodies on disclosure requirements and risks under freedom of information/open government legislation.
Interception of communications
- advising businesses on compliant monitoring and recording of communications to, from and within their business.
- advising clients on developing strategies for responding to subject access requests as well as assisting in dealing with the requests themselves, sometimes also in the context of litigation.
- dealing with data protection issues associated with corporate transactions (eg in relation to due diligence disclosure or transfer of data as an asset) and outsourcing transactions.
- advising on the rules relating to telephone, email and SMS marketing as well as data profiling activities.