We pride ourselves on the diversity of skills, backgrounds and knowledge held by our people. Yet Simmons & Simmons' staff also share key characteristics which enable them to excel within our firm. We look for a variety of indicators of your potential including academic success, 'soft' skills, interests, activities and work experience.
We would welcome your application if you have achieved or are on track to achieve at least a 2.1 or equivalent in your degree. Your pre-university studies should also reflect this high standard.
You should be fluent in English. Proficiency in other Asian languages such as Chinese and Indonesian is also useful, yet not necessary.
Activities and Interests
We look for well-rounded individuals with both a strong academic record and a rich ‘life experience’. This could be reflected in your hobbies, sporting achievements, cultural pursuits or travelling experiences. We are interested in hearing about any positions of responsibility attained at school, university or in previous employment.
Previous work experience whether high profile or more modest, can provide us with a good indicator of your core ‘soft’ skills, such as communication skills or multi-tasking abilities. Whether you have had legal exposure in a work placement or spent last summer working in a shop, both roles demonstrate your ability to get on with all kinds of people and take on positions of responsibility.
We also place a high value on any transferable skills you may have developed through a previous career or role. Indeed, we welcome applications from candidates with all kinds of backgrounds and experiences, including graduates (in either law or non-law degrees), mature students (particularly with any previous relevant or commercial experience), and career changers.
If you can demonstrate ability in the following, we would like to hear from you:
• Ability to identify key issues quickly
• Clear oral and verbal expression
• Ability to think laterally
• Ability to analyse complex situations.
• Confident and inspiring to others
• Ability to form strong relationships with both team members and clients
• Drive, resilience and strong self belief
• Ability to both lead and work as part of a team.
• High levels of energy and enthusiasm
• Ability to take responsibility
• Desire to constantly learn and improve
• Ability to stick to principles and achieve results.