Our dedicated team, together with sector analysts and external industry consultants, means we can support leading life sciences companies worldwide:
- by working for many of the largest global pharmaceutical companies, we offer an unrivalled, in depth understanding of this specialist market
- by advising some of the fastest growing biotechs we move as fast as our clients' needs, staying ahead of the trends
- by supporting household names in consumer healthcare we have specialist knowledge of the marketing challenges our clients face
- by assisting many of the leading medical devices companies we understand the short and long term business drivers in this field
- by acting for many major healthcare services companies, we have gained valuable insights into the opportunities and risks for operators in a highly sensitive regulatory environment.
Our active participation in industry associations around the world, combined with our sector focus, ensures we deliver a top tier level of service to our clients.
“Remarkable for the sheer number of leading lawyers with significant practices in the sector. Able to handle the most complex and largest disputes and transactions with masterful effectiveness.” Chambers & Partners 2016
"They are eager to offer solutions in difficult deal circumstances and deliver a high-quality product." Chambers UK 2016
“Offers regulatory and transactional expertise alongside its superb patent practice and is proficient in co-ordinating pan-European mandates.” Chambers & Partners 2015
"They are utterly pleasant and capable professionals with a full-service offering. They are knowledgeable and pragmatic." Chambers & Partners 2015
“Strong practitioners in a number of key jurisdictions, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain and London.” Chambers & Partners 2014
The dedicated life sciences team at Simmons & Simmons brings you specialist expertise in the following areas:
- patent expiry strategy
- product liability
- corporate finance
- technology licensing
- commercial support.
Patent expiry strategy
- since 2000 we have advised in connection with patent expiry of more than ten major drugs, including three of the top five worldwide
- we are experienced in major multi-jurisdictional patent litigation and strategy matters.
- we advised a major pharmaceutical company in relation to one of the world’s largest ever product liability casesour French litigation practice has unrivalled experience. We have litigated pharmaceutical product liability claims in over 100 French courts and have invaluable insight into the views of judges and court-appointed medical experts
- our assistance covers relationships with regulatory authorities, crisis management and communication and product recall, as well as multiplelitigation throughout numerous jurisdictions.
- our dedicated life sciences competition experts advise on landmark cases
- we represented The European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) in the Bayer v Adalat parallel imports case in the European Court of Justice and before the Court of First Instance.
- clients call on our regulatory team for complex multi-jurisdictional advice
- our leading regulatory practice advises on the full range of regulatory issues affecting medicines, medical devices, tissues/cells, foods and cosmetics
- we assisted Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals in setting up and negotiating clinical trial agreements for a large multi-centre clinical study involving over 100 centres in 13 European countries.
- our top ranked life sciences corporate team acts on some of the highest profile transactions in the sector.
- we have advised Procter & Gamble on the restructuring of Gillette, Schering on the integration of Bayer / Schering in China, and on the employment issues relating to the acquisition of Pfizer's OTC business in Hong Kong.
- we have advised on some of the highest profile licensing agreements in the life sciences sector across the US, Europe and Asia.
In addition to advising on headline matters, we are also there for the day-to-day issues. Across Europe, the Middle East and Asia we offer assistance with:
- clinical trial agreements
- distribution and marketing agreements
- medical advertising
- pharmaceutical trade marks
- pricing and re-imbursement
- employment law matters
- IT and outsourcing