- Advising a leading international bank in connection with an investigation by international regulators.
- Acting for an investment bank in relation to a notice to produce information, served by the Serious Fraud Office following a request for mutual assistance by an overseas prosecutor. We successfully applied for judicial review of the request on the grounds that the requesting agency overseas had no authority to make the request.
- Handling a key investigation for a leading international bank, involving the FCA, SEC and Federal Reserve. This was highly sensitive work, involving significant reputational issues for the client, making it one of the highest priority items for the board.
- Internal fraud investigation of an international investment bank in Hong Kong and the UK: proceedings in the UK, obtaining freezing orders and search orders, tracing funds through several jurisdictions and advice on money laundering and enforcement.
Asset Management & Investment Funds
- Undertaking an investigation for an asset manager in relation to a series of investments made for clients by an individual portfolio manager. This was a highly sensitive matter and involved possible regulatory consequences and investor complaints
Energy and Infrastructure
- Representing an international company on one of the first investigations in France regarding corrupt practices overseas.
- Largest criminal investigation in The Netherlands covering corruption, money laundering and other criminal activity in seven major real estate projects: we were instructed after raids at 54 premises across three jurisdictions by 600 investigators.
- Advising a multinational company on responding to a Section 2 Notice from the Serious Fraud Office in connection with its Oil for Food investigation, including conducting extensive document retrieval and review work, dealing with complex issues of legal privilege and separately conducting an internal investigation.
- Advising a large pharmaceutical in an ongoing investigation performed by the DDPP (“direction départementale de la protection des populations”) concerning alleged improper payments made to healthcare professionals.
- Advising a French pharmaceutical company in relation to major product liability litigation, involving thousands of indemnity claims and over 3,000 claims announced before the criminal courts. This makes it one of the largest-scale product liability cases in French legal history.
- Advising a multinational company on pre-deal M&A due diligence and anti-bribery and money laundering issues.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Representing a high profile individual involved in the investigation into telephone hacking by the press on issues of criminal law and in relation to the ensuing Leveson Inquiry.
- Advising on a major European Commission cartel investigation in relation to LCD’s.
- Carrying out a large-scale compliance investigations, involving self-reporting to criminal authorities.