Our construction practice acts for a broad range of clients – from public bodies and major developers to purchasers and contractors – and a wide variety of projects. We have the expertise to help companies in this sector successfully manage risk through effective project management.
- we acted for Takum-Itochu on their groundbreaking energy from waste project, the first carried out for a Japanese consortium in this sector and for the sector as a whole; this complex project involved negotiation with parties up and down the chain
- our deep knowledge of the industry and large team enabled us to advise the MoD on its wide-ranging MFTS project, amongst the largest of its kind
- working with the Nationwide Building Society has further deepened our experience in developing complex suites of documents catering for numerous variables – we also contributed to the development and use of their extranet.
Our construction team provides expert advice on all aspects of construction law from the inception of a project through to completion. We undertake both contentious and non-contentious work, acting for a broad range of clients including public bodies, major developers, funding institutions, consultants, contractors, potential purchasers and tenants. We advise clients on a wide variety of projects including power stations, roads, railways, defence and infrastructure projects, office, retail and residential projects, headquarters and factory premises and retail park developments.
We focus on the following key areas:
- the preparation and negotiation of the terms of construction documentation including tenders, letters of intent, main contracts, sub-contracts, consultants appointments and collateral warranties whether standard or project-specific
- drafting of performance bonds, guarantees and insurance arrangements
- PFI, PPP, BOOT, partnering contracts and EPC contracts
- dispute resolution by adjudication, arbitration or litigation
- advice on EC and other public procurement issues.
Our core team comprises over 20 legal staff, including four partners, operating from our international network of offices. We are able to draw upon the strengths of the rest of the firm, often working with colleagues in planning, property, tax, environment, corporate and banking law, providing clients with a comprehensive service.