Tom has 20 years of experience of commercial litigation, contentious regulatory and arbitration in China, England and Australia, during which time he has advised clients in numerous high value and business-critical disputes.
He has particular experience in disputes relating to financial products and services, fraud and breach of trust claims, accountants’ liability and disputes arising out of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. He regularly advises banks, financial intermediaries and individuals in connection with regulatory investigations into market misconduct, rate manipulation and trading irregularities.
- Recent Work
- advising various banks and individuals in connection with SFC and HKMA investigations into market misconduct, rate manipulation and/or trading irregularities
- advising a US hedge fund on compliance with a ‘cold shoulder’ order issued by the Market Misconduct Tribunal
- advising an international investment bank in responding to and successfully discharging injunctions obtained by two HNW customers
- advising a former director of CITIC in Market Misconduct Tribunal proceedings concerning FX hedges in 2008
- advising a Big Four accounting firm in defence of claims arising out of the collapse and liquidation of a Hong Kong listed company
- advising a bank in connection with a large commodities trading fraud in China in 2014
- advising Big Four accounting firms in responding to financial misreporting incidents by Hong Kong-listed Chinese companies, including subsequent SFC, FRC and HKICPA investigations and disciplinary proceedings
- advising an online transportation network company in responding to ‘dawn raids’ and a criminal investigation by the Hong Kong police
- advising various corporate clients, financial institutions and hedge funds in enforcing (by injunctive action) the restrictive covenants of departing senior employees.
Tom joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in August 2012. He was admitted in Hong Kong and England in 1997 and has over 15 years’ experience handling a broad range of commercial litigation, regulatory and arbitration matters in China, England and Australia.
Tom is co-author of Sweet & Maxwell’s Hong Kong Civil Justice Reform Practice Manual and a contributing editor of Hong Kong Civil Procedure (the White Book).