Tim advises financial institutions in connection with regulatory investigations, major disputes and fraud claims. His investigations work frequently involves complex financial products, cross border elements and engagement with multiple regulators, including the FCA, the PRA, the SEC, the DoJ and the Federal Reserve.
The client base Tim works with principally comprises banks, investment intermediaries, investment managers and other regulated entities. He recently completed a 6 month secondment in a senior litigation and investigations role for a leading international financial institution.
Tim is recommended in the latest edition of Legal 500 which states that he “swiftly identifies key points”. Previous directory feedback comments that he "has a standout reputation in the banking litigation sphere and is widely praised by sources", "very good, ballsy and very strong in financial services," and "very crisp, highly intelligent, very focused and puts himself out. He delivers even against impossible deadlines and I'm really impressed with his organisation skills and the thoughtfulness of his approach".
- Recent Work
- advising global financial institutions and senior individuals in connection with FCA investigations into conduct risk, cultural issues, insurance mediation and market abuse
- acting as a skilled person under s166 FSMA in a number of regulatory investigations into CASS breaches, systems and controls issues, and also as adviser to firms
- acting for a prominent individual defending complex cross-border fraud and bankruptcy proceedings brought by a major international bank in the English Courts
- acting for a European commodities broker in an international arbitration with an Eastern European oil trader relating to the need for authorisation under MiFID for various types of derivative trading activities
- advising a bank in fraud proceedings against multiple defendants across four jurisdictions, arising out of the sale by a customer of thousands of non-existent Olympics tickets
- acting for a $750m fund managed by a major financial institution in multi-jurisdictional fraud proceedings
- defending claims brought by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme relating to the alleged mis-selling of complex financial products.
Tim is a partner in the London finance litigation group and heads the firm’s UK Financial Markets Litigation group that is part of our dispute resolution practice. He qualified as a solicitor in 1993 and joined Simmons & Simmons in 2012. He is a solicitor advocate and CEDR qualified mediator.