Steven den Boer
Steven mainly advises financial institutions, with a strong focus on tax transactional work in the field of structured finance, capital markets and investment funds.
- Recent Work
- acting for various investment banks such as UBS, a major investment bank, Deutsche Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland and Banca Bilbao Vizcaya on the establishment of repackaging and securitisation programmes in the Netherlands
- advising on the establishment of Netherlands based investment funds to major international investment banks, hedge funds and other financial institutions
- advising on a variety of asset management agreements to pension funds and other institutional investors
- advising the former shareholders of Essent on the €9.3bn sale of Essent to RWE.
Steven studied fiscal economics at Tilburg University. After having completed his master degree, he joined Simmons & Simmons in 2006.
Steven has completed the post-doctoral Exec. LLM programme in International and European Tax Law at the International Tax Center Leiden (University of Leiden) in 2014.
Steven is a member of the Netherlands Association of Tax Advisors (Nederlandse Orde van Belastingadviseurs).
Steven is ranked as a ‘rising star’ by World Tax 2014.
- The Netherland as a Hub for Middle East investors to Make Investments into Europe (Tax Planning International Review) – 2015
- Netherlands confirm favorable tax treatment of AT1s (IFLR) – 2014
- New Rules on the Taxation of Cooperatives in the Netherlands (International Tax Journal) – 2012
- Financial services within a group seen from a tax perspective (Onderneming & Financiering) (in Dutch) – 2012
- Freedom of establishment versus free movement of capital: continuing uncertainty (European Taxation) - 2011