Robert is a partner in the financial markets litigation group in London. He specialises in retail and consumer finance litigation, including investigations, general banking disputes and contentious regulatory matters. He has advised on a range of disputes and industry wide issues including consumer credit, mis-selling litigation and unfair terms. He has also acted in complex investment bank litigation and on major international regulatory investigations for retail and investment banks. In addition, Robert advises clients on data protection considerations, particularly in relation to litigation and other contentious situations. He is a member of the firm’s Data Protection and Privacy group.
Robert was named in Legal Week’s 2016 list of Rising Litigation Stars in London.
- Recent Work
- acting for a high street bank in relation to potential breach of mandate claims arising from cyber security breaches
- advising a US bank in relation to Commercial Court proceedings, valued in excess of €100m, concerning collateral management
- acting for an investment bank defending claims alleging the mis-sale of interest rate hedging products
- advising a major banking group in relation to litigation and regulatory issues concerning Payment Protection Insurance and related consumer credit claims
- advising an investment bank on compliance in its terms and conditions with the transparency and fairness obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and related EU law
- advising financial institutions on the execution of sensitive and high profile Data Subject Access Requests and related litigation
- acting for an academic institution defending claims brought by a former employee under the Data Protection Act 1998
- acting for an investment bank on a number of investigations arising from the creation of electronic communications, including regulatory advice.
Robert joined Simmons & Simmons in 2002 and qualified as a solicitor in September 2004. Robert was admitted as a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) in 2011.