Richard is a partner in the Financial Markets Litigation group at Simmons & Simmons and heads our contentious regulatory practice. He has extensive experience of regulatory investigations, enforcement and disputes involving the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and other regulators. Richard’s practice encompasses all forms of FCA investigations and disciplinary proceedings, both regulatory and criminal.
- Recent Work
- advising a bank in relation to the FCA’s FX investigation and related issues
- advising a bank in relation to regulatory investigations concerning LIBOR
- advising a client subject to a criminal investigation by the FCA for alleged market misconduct
- advising a financial institution in relation to an FCA market abuse investigation
- advising a financial institution in relation to an FCA systems and controls investigation
- advising a bank in relation to an FCA systems and controls investigation
- advising a client in relation to suspected market abuse on the part of an employee
- advising a financial institution in relation to certain approved person applications to the FCA.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons Richard spent several years working in the Enforcement Division of the FSA (as it then was) with a particular focus on market abuse, insider dealing and wholesale firms’ systems and controls. Richard led the investigation which resulted in the FSA’s first prosecution for insider dealing (R v McQuoid and Melbourne). He was also involved in a number of other large insider dealing and market abuse investigations.
Richard is recognised as a leading practitioner in this field. Chambers UK 2016 describes him as "fantastic on investigations and regulatory enforcement".