Pollyanna is a partner in the international insurance group in London and leads the team which won the Legal Business Awards "Insurance Team of the Year 2014".
She specialises in advising insurance companies and unusually, advises both life and general insurers on the many aspects of their business. These include business transfers, attributions of inherited estates, mergers and acquisitions, reorganisations, demutualisations and joint ventures. She has been extensively involved in Solvency 2 projects for both capital management purposes and business preparation; with a particular interest in Solvency 2’s impact on Corporate Governance and asset management. Her “Top ten things every fund manager needs to know” is widely used in the market. A particular interest is the development of new products (including health trusts and financial reinsurance) for insurers, reinsurers and other financial institutions.
She has advised corporates on the regulatory position of their insurance and risk management programmes, governments on the establishment and running of captives and protected cell companies and both UK and overseas regulators on their handbooks and new regulations. She has considerable experience in working with discretionary mutuals, warranty providers, insurance intermediaries (and other service providers) covering all regulatory aspects of their business as well as their distribution and marketing arrangements both domestic and on a cross border basis.
- Recent Work
- advising Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance (Europe) on its Part VII transfer and reorganisation of its Continental European business including on the closure and establishment of branches in Europe and the Middle East
- advising American Express on their insurance products and services
- advising a leading European insurer on their mediation and conduct of business issues across Europe, including an extensive comparison exercise between the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy
- advising a number of brokers on their PI policy wording in the light of the AIFMD
- advising a considerable number of insurers and asset managers on the impact of Solvency 2, including analysis of asset management issues, corporate governance and its day to day impact on the businesses.
Pollyanna joined Simmons & Simmons as a corporate partner in 2012. She has over 20 years experience working with the insurance industry, in private practice, and has been a partner for more than 12 years, joining Simmons & Simmons from another leading law firm.
Pollyanna is editor of the Butterworths Financial Regulation Services and sits on the board of the PLC Financial Services for whom she writes a bi-monthly column, sharing her views on industry developments. She is a member of the FMLC and currently supports the work of the European Commissions’ Expert Group on insurance contract law.
In the recent publish of Legal 500 UK Pollyanna is noted as "highly regarded…with a strong expertise in Part VII transfers, reorganisations and Solvency II matters”. She is mentioned by one client as ‘outstanding’ and noted to have a “…detailed and in-depth knowledge and is a one-stop shop for insurance regulatory matters and commercial deals”. Pollyanna is also named as a Legal Expert for corporate/M&A and insurance in Legal Experts.