Philip acts for financial institutions, major corporations and public sector clients. He deals with all aspects of employment law, both contentious and non contentious, including equal opportunities and whistleblowing issues, executive terminations, industrial relations (including compulsory trade union recognition) and the employment aspects of corporate transactions, both business transfers (including outsourcings) and share sales. Philip also advises on data protection in employment and the regulation of remuneration in the financial services sector.
- Recent Work
- advising a European Investment Bank in relation to various projects and Employment Tribunal claims, including: restructurings; compensation arrangements and diversity; and bonus, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, sex and race discrimination claims
- advising an Asian Bank in relation to matters such as redundancies, employment tribunal claims (discrimination, whistleblowing, equal pay and agency work protection), disciplinaries and grievances
- multi-claimant (including trade union) TUPE / redundancy / unfair dismissal litigation
- advising on the TUPE / ARD provisions of various outsourcing arrangements, real estate and other transactions
- advising various financial institutions on remuneration including: CRD4 and the bonus cap; remuneration structures including allowances; contractual documentation; remuneration policy; bonus letters; and deferred compensation plans
- advising a number of clients on the handling of subject access requests including: scoping requests, gathering data, reviewing data and providing data; and dealing with Information Commissioner assessment.
Philip is recommended as:
- "Philip is really into the issues we face, into the detail and willing to discuss things" [Chambers & Partners 2018]
- “We use him for difficult strategic issues - he is a solid lawyer and very pragmatic” [Chambers UK, 2017]
- “a 'go-to' guy ” for complex matters, and “technical, but able to navigate through difficult issues and provide a practical outlook ”[Legal 500, 2013]
- “always on top of any legal problem” and strongly recommended for difficult draftings and advising on complex points of law [Chambers & Partners UK, 2013]
- “tenacious and thorough” [Chambers & Partners 2012].
He is recommended by Chambers UK, PLC "Which Lawyer?" and is listed as an "expert" in Legal Experts.
He joined Simmons & Simmons in 1992 and became a partner in 2001.