Peter heads the firm’s banking group, advising on all aspects of rescues and re-constructions. He has extensive experience in insolvency and corporate re-construction law, both contentious and non-contentious.
He has acted for a broad range of clients, including banks, insolvency practitioners, debtors and creditors. Recently an increased proportion of his work has been advising directors of financially distressed companies.
Peter has been ranked as a leading practitioner by Chambers every year since 2003.
- Recent Work
- advising Bear Stearns UK entities in the period prior to their acquisition by JP Morgan, including negotiations with FSA (as was) and contingency planning for possible administration
- advising more than 100 hedge funds in relation to their claims against LBIE, including the successful derived asset and client monies litigation
- advising HMV over a 2 year period prior in relation to its debt restructuring including CVA planning and negotiations with the company’s pension trustees. Subsequently advising Deloitte as administrators of the company
- acting for General Healthcare Group over a 3 year period, in its protracted but ultimately successful £2bn+ restructuring, described as the most “complex ever European securitisation restructuring”. GHG is the landlord of the majority of BMI’s private hospitals
- advising Barclays Bank PLC on the two rounds of restructuring for Interserve plc
- advising Deloitte as provisional liquidators of Abraaj Capital Limited – a company resident in the Dubai International Financial Centre
- advising the Pension Protection Fund in relation to environmental claims being pursued against Dawson International plc (in administration)
- advising the independent director of the purchaser of Johnston Press plc out of administration and the directors of Debenhams plc.
Peter joined the firm as a partner in 1999 and previously led the firm’s restructuring and special situation practice. He now heads the firm’s banking group which forms part of the financial markets department.
He is a Fellow of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) and a member of the Law Society of England & Wales and INSOL International. He is also a contributor of The Law of International Insolvencies and Debt Restructurings and the author of a chapter on Environmental Law & Insolvency in Tolley’s Insolvency Law Manual.
Peter is a graduate of Oxford University.