Penny is a partner in our financial services regulation practice which forms part of our financial markets practice in London. Penny specialises in a wide range of UK and EU regulatory matters, including advising financial institutions on product regulation and the impact of current and future regulation on transactions relating to derivatives, structured finance and retail structured products. In addition, Penny is advising extensively on MAR, PRIIPs, the Benchmark Regulation and MiFID2 as well as regulating people under the Senior Managers Regime and managing related conduct risk and culture issues.
Penny is involved in navigator – the Simmons & Simmons online regulatory subscription service which provides information in relation to over 100 jurisdictions - her key focus is on navigator: securities and navigator: derivatives. Penny regularly presents to clients on key aspects of current regulatory change and is closely involved in trade association discussions and responses to EU and other regulatory bodies.
Penny is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- advising financial institutions on regulatory reform and the implications of various European Directives (such as EMIR, the Prospectus Directive, MAR, PRIIPs, Benchmark Regulation and MiFID2)
- advising financial institutions on product regulation and, in particular, on the impact of RDR, PRIIPs, the Product Governance regime and the changing landscape on OTC derivatives clearing
- advising on regulating people under the Senior Managers Regime at a strategic level and analysing the related conduct risk and embedding culture change
- advising financial institutions on the provision of financial services and offering of financial products across the world involving licensing, marketing and selling restrictions on a number of products
- regularly participates in a number of BBA, ISDA and ICMA committees on regulatory issues.
Penny qualified as a solicitor in London at Simmons & Simmons in 1997, having been a trainee at the firm.
Penny recently authored a chapter on The Prospectus Directive Regime of debt, asset backed and derivative securities in “A Practitioner’s Guide to the Regulation of Investment Banking” published in The City Library.