Paul is a consultant within the financial markets litigation group based in Hong Kong. He specialises in complex financial disputes and contentious regulatory investigations. Paul has over ten years’ experience in advising investment banks, asset managers, and other financial institutions across multiple jurisdictions, including the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and the broader Asia Pacific region.
- Recent Work
- advising a global financial institution in relation to a wide-ranging investigation into bribery and corruption allegations, including advice on compliance with whistle-blowing legislation and various regulatory reporting obligations in multiple jurisdictions
- acting for a major international investment bank in responding to a US$350m claim by liquidators of a collapsed NASDAQ-listed Chinese company
- acting for an international investment bank in relation to a distressed debt trading dispute concerning the correct interpretation of applicable Loan Market Association documentation
- advising an international investment bank in relation to jurisdiction issues and mis-selling claims in respect of currency and interest rate derivatives sold under the ISDA Master Agreement
- acting for a share market regulator in connection with a market manipulation prosecution and broader regulatory compliance issues
- advising various hedge funds in connection with SFC investigations into regulatory perimeter and market conduct issues
- acting for a global financial institution in relation to multiple High Court claims (including urgent injunctive relief) arising out of a wide-ranging client de-risking exercise in response to anti-money laundering guidelines and other regulatory standards
- acting for a global financial institution in relation to the collapse of a European bank following a regulatory investigation into allegedly wide-ranging anti-money laundering issues and the impact on outstanding cross currency trades executed under the ISDA Master Agreement
- acting for and advising an international investment bank in connection with a complex contractual dispute concerning the close-out procedure under the ISDA Master Agreement.
Paul joined Simmons & Simmons in Hong Kong in January 2016, prior to which Paul was a Managing Associate in our Financial Markets Litigation team in London. Before joining Simmons & Simmons Paul was in-house litigation counsel at ANZ and practised as a barrister and solicitor at a leading New Zealand law firm, during which time he appeared as counsel in a number of complex financial disputes in various courts and tribunals.
During his time at Simmons & Simmons Paul has worked extensively with a number of investment banks and other financial institutions, including a nine month secondment to the litigation and investigations team of a leading investment bank in London.