Paolo specialises in dispute resolution covering a wide range of areas, with his primary focus being on high-tech disputes in the Life Sciences and TMT sectors. Much of Paolo's work involves cross-border litigation for international clients, with particular focus on Italy. His academic background is grounded in both law and biological sciences. Paolo edits the Simmons & Simmons Governing Law, Jurisdiction and Enforcement Risk microsite.
- Recent Work
- Autonomy Corporation Limited and others -v- Michael Richard Lynch and Anor: advising the former Chief Financial Officer of Autonomy Corporation Limited, Sushovan Hussain, on civil claims arising out of HP’s $11.1 billion acquisition (and subsequent $8.8 billion write down) of Autonomy
- acting for DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH in procurement disputes arising under the Utilities Contract Regulations 2006 in relation to the provision of air navigation services at Gatwick, Manchester and Stansted Airports
- Martyn Richard Chudley and Ors -v- Activision, Inc.: acting for the defendant in High Court proceedings for alleged breach of contract in relation to earn-out consideration provisions in a share purchase agreement for Bizarre Creations Limited, an English computer game developer
- Lynn Gilbert v Donald Rupert Lyndsay Holms and Anor: acting for the director of an English company in his defence against allegations brought in the High Court of fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation in relation to the purchase of shares in a company that was attempting to raise funds for the EU commercialisation of a protein reverse-engineered from HIV and used for multiple therapeutic applications including treatment of ulcerative diseases of the gut. The matter went to the Court of Appeal before settling
- HMV Group plc (in administration) v A&NN Capital Management Fund Limited: advising HMV on claims against A&NN arising out of the tax deed that both companies entered into during the sale of Waterstones. The matter settled shortly prior to trial
- Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited v Apple Inc: advising Samsung on its successful proceedings against Apple for a declaration of non-infringement in relation to the marketing of Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet computers, and in particular in relation to Apple's attempted challenge to the English court's jurisdiction over the proceedings
- Porton Capital Technology Funds and Ohs v 3M UK Holdings Limited and Anr: advising the defendants in litigation brought by an investment fund and a British government licensing entity for alleged breach of contract arising following the acquisition of a spin-off company for the exploitation of a biochemical process for use in screening drug-resistant pathogens, at first instance in the Commercial Court and in the Court of Appeal
- Alessandro Benedetti and Anr v Naguib Sawiris and Ohs: acting for two Cayman companies forming part of an international trusts structure in their successful defence in a complex contractual claim relating to the acquisition of Wind Telecomunicazioni S.p.A. in 2005, in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. The litigation involved highly-technical principles of company and trusts law.
Paolo joined Simmons & Simmons in 2005 and qualified as a solicitor in September 2007. He was admitted as a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) in 2010.
Although he is British Canadian, Paolo grew up in Rome and maintains extensive links with Italy. Paolo speaks fluent Italian and was seconded for six months to Simmons & Simmons' Milan office in 2007. Paolo is a member of the British Italian Law Association and of the Society for Computers and Law, and he is also a Tech London Advocate specialising in the TLA’s Health Tech working group. Paolo is listed as a rising star in both London Super Lawyers Magazine 2013 and 2014.
Paolo spent four months in 2016 on secondment to Selex ES Ltd., an electronics and information technology business within the Leonardo aerospace, defence and security engineering group.
Paolo read biochemistry at the University of Edinburgh.