Nick advises clients on the management and resolution of tax disputes with HMRC and with commercial parties. He advises clients on all aspects of contentious tax practice, from initial advice on liability and filing positions through negotiation with HMRC to litigation before the Tax Tribunals, the English courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union. Nick specialises in litigating high value complex tax cases and matters concerning tax avoidance. He helps clients understand and balance all the risks inherent in their tax positions, weighing the prospects of successfully pursuing a claim or litigation against the impact on reputation and relationships with stakeholders.
Nick is dual qualified as a Chartered Tax Adviser and Solicitor. As an accredited mediator he also assists clients with the resolution of disputes through Alternative Dispute Resolution. He has deep expertise in tax restitution claims, indirect tax matters, particularly VAT and financial services, compound interest, abuse of rights cases, international and domestic fund structures, pension funds, unjust enrichment, house building, telecoms and environmental taxes. His work also includes assisting clients with evidencing the quantum of claims and extrapolating claims value data.
- Recent Work
- acting for a number of investment trust companies in tax restitution cases concerning VAT on fund management charges
- acting for pension fund managers on the reclaim of VAT on pension fund management charges
- acting for a travel company on the recovery of VAT on financial restructuring costs
- defending HMRC assessments on the sale of a pension fund to an investment bank
- compound interest litigation and claims filing
- defending suppliers against civil claims to recover VAT and Landfill Tax amounts recovered from HMRC.
Previously Head of Indirect Tax Litigation at a Big 4 accountancy firm.