Nick has a broad experience of corporate tax with a particular emphasis on transactional work including sales and purchases of companies, mergers, demergers, reconstructions, business sales and purchases, joint ventures, and VAT. Nick also advises on structured finance products, securitisations, business process outsourcing arrangements and real estate transactions.
Nick is recognised as a specialist in the mergers and acquisitions field. He is ranked as a leading individual in the latest Legal 500 ("impressive") and Chambers directories and endorsed in PLC Which Lawyer?.
- Recent Work
- advising Orion Mine Finance and Fusion Capital on their joint venture and original acquisition of the mine from Solway Industries in 2015, on the offtake arrangements for the project and also subsequently advised Lynx Resources on the $75m debt raise for the mine, financed by leading project finance lenders Société Générale and Investec, and Macedonian lender Ohridska Banca (which was recognised by Trade & Forfaiting Review as one of their Deal of the Year winners for 2016 and was shortlisted for the IFLR European Awards 2017 as Project Finance Deal of the Year).
- advising Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. ("SRI") on a $137.5m acquisition of Sports Direct International plc’s ("Sports Direct") trademark rights to the DUNLOP brand and related sporting goods and licensing businesses.
- advising Deka Immobilien on its acquisition of high profile mixed use development at Rathbone Square, London from Great Portland Estates including office premises serving as Facebook’s new London HQ – one of the highest value post-Brexit vote real estate transactions in the UK.
- advising APG, one of Europe’s largest pension fund asset managers, on the merger of the Elephant & Castle and “East Village” residential projects to create a £1.4bn joint venture with Delancey and Qatari Diar in the UK’s private rented market.
- advising Avenue Capital on the sale of GL Europe RE Holdings S.à r.l, to Brookfield for £408.5m.
- advising Intertrust Group BV, an international trust and corporate management company, on its £435m acquisition of the Elian group, a trust and corporate services provider headquartered in Jersey.
Nick is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation Corporate. He has written and contributed to various tax publications, including, the "PLC Tax Manual", "PLC Share Purchases Manual" and the tax sections of the book by W.K. Knight, "The Acquisition of Private Companies and Business Assets" (7th edition) published by FT Law & Tax.
Nick qualified as a solicitor at Simmons & Simmons in 1992 and subsequently became a partner in 1998.