Reza is a Singapore-qualified advocate and solicitor with extensive experience in complex commercial and banking disputes. He is “noted for his expertise on multi-jurisdictional financial and funds disputes” and for his “extraordinary intellectual energy”.
Reza is an experienced advocate, having been involved in trial, appellate work and arbitrations in the technical fields of banking and investment, energy, insurance, sport, and in a range of corporate disputes. He also advises on anti-bribery and corruption issues, and is frequently sought out to advise on and litigate a range of employment matters, particularly those involving termination of employment and enforcement of non-compete agreements.
- Recent Work
- advised and represented global financial institutions and multinational corporations in Singapore court proceedings at all levels. Advised a listed multinational banking and financial services company in one of the most complex banking cases on trial in Singapore, involving the multi-billion dollar sophisticated Madoff fraud
- advised a global independent specialty finance house in its complex and multi-jurisdictional secured finance and commodities dispute with two counterparties arising out of a complex series of loan facilities and forward funding agreements between the parties
- advised a listed Australian company in a multi-million dollar dispute arising from a joint venture agreement with its former Indonesian partner involving a coal upgrading plant in Indonesia
- advised numerous global financial and technology companies on Singapore employment law issues pertaining to deferred bonus and restrictive shares schemes, restrictive covenants, summary dismissal, working hours’ regulations, withholdings, moral rights, cross-border enforceability against non-local employees
- advised and represented a Swiss based global trading house in its dispute against a counterparty for various breaches of supply contracts. The dispute involved numerous agreements governed variously by multi-jurisdiction law with dispute resolution clauses conferring jurisdiction on the Energy Arbitration Court and local courts
- advised a London based investment manager with approximately US$900m of assets under management and its nominee director on a registered business trust in Singapore against claims made by lenders to the business trust. We advised clients on the novel issue of the applicability of judicial protection schemes to business trusts and/or their trustee-managers
- advised a wholly owned subsidiary of a prominent sovereign wealth fund its duties and obligations owed to an investor of one of its funds versus the broker of the fund pursuant to certain unresolved tax liabilities in a foreign jurisdiction
- advised various global leading financial institutions on Singapore law compliance of data protection laws and on the transfer of personal data to external jurisdictions, subject always to banking secrecy and data privacy regulations.
Reza is admitted to the Singapore Bar, having read law at the University of Nottingham, the National University of Singapore and the University of Melbourne. He is a partner with the firm’s dispute resolution group and is concurrently a partner of Simmons & Simmons JWS and a director of JWS Asia Law Corporation, the constituent Singapore law practice of Simmons & Simmons JWS Pte Ltd. All Singapore litigation and related advice is provided through JWS Asia Law Corporation.
Reza has been recognised as a leading individual by Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global. He has also been recognised as one of Singapore’s best litigation lawyers by the publication Best Lawyers, as well as a dispute resolution star by Benchmark Asia-Pacific in the practice areas of General Commercial Litigation and Labour & Employment. Reza was identified in 2014 as one of “Singapore's 20 most influential 40 and under lawyers” by Singapore Business Review, in which he was described as “exactly the kind of guy you want on your side”. Client comments include:
- “noted for his expertise on multi-jurisdictional financial and funds disputes” (Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global 2016)
- “very smart and capable” (Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global 2015)
- “absolutely first rate” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015)
- “extraordinary intellectual energy and is very good for complex cases” (Chambers Asia-Pacific and
Chambers Global 2014)
- “incredibly client-friendly’ and straightforward in communication.” (Chambers Global 2014)
- “a user-friendly and brilliant lawyer.” (Chambers Global 2013, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013)
- “For Mohammed Reza … comprehensive analysis of complex legal issues is a walk in the park.” (Benchmark Litigation 2013)
In 2005, Reza was seconded to the Monetary Authority of Singapore. In addition to being an advocate, Reza is also the author of numerous legal articles. He was a contributing editor to the publication Singapore Civil Procedure, and has contributed to the textbooks Singapore Precedents of Pleadings and Law and Practice of Corporate Insolvency.
- SICC bring viable new platform to Asia, Asia Business Law Journal (July-August 2016 Volume 1, Issue 1)
- Singapore Implements the Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements: What This Means for International Disputes, IPBA Journal (June 2016, No. 82) pp. 27 – 33
- Coming to grips with the Employment Claims Tribunal, featured article in HRM Asia (May 2016)
- Setting the right tone from the top, Interview in Asia Asset Management (April 2016)
- Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements: Courting the Freedom of Choice, featured article in the Singapore Law Gazette (February 2016)
- Singapore's Employment Claims Tribunal is a step in right direction, Op-ed in the Singapore Straits Times (9 January 2016)
- Penalty clauses post Cavendish Square: Wither Singapore law?, Singapore Law Watch (23 Nov 2015)
- Electing between contractual and common law right to terminate employment contracts, Singapore Law Watch (10 Nov 2015)
- Arbitrability of Minority Oppression Claims, Singapore Law Watch (6 Nov 2015)
- articles published on elexica, Simmons & Simmons award winning legal resource platform