Michael is a partner in the London capital markets group and leads the asset-backed finance and securitisation team. Michael has extensive experience advising on a wide range of asset-backed structures including securitisation, warehouse facilities, asset-backed lending, receivables financing and portfolio acquisitions with a particular emphasis on innovative asset backed structures and asset classes. He is heavily involved in the firm’s FinTech initiative, advising both FinTech borrowers and lenders to FinTech companies on asset backed facilities and securitisation.
Michael was recognised as one of Financial News’ 40 under 40 rising stars of the legal profession in 2015.
- Recent Work
- advising Funding Circle on the £129m SBOLT 2015-1 transaction, the first European securitisation of marketplace SME loans
- advising Macquarie Group on the financing of the acquisition of Basinghall Finance by Bluestone Group, and the subsequent £250m Celeste Mortgage Funding 2015-1 plc UK RMBS transaction, closing March 2015
- advising the arrangers and joint lead managers on all Precise Mortgages UK non-conforming RMBS transactions to date
- advising Greensill Capital on its USD20bn note programme, backed by participations in trust property comprising trade payables
- advising leading financial institutions on a large number of asset backed lending and warehouse transactions, and related asset portfolio acquisitions, often across several jurisdictions and multiple asset classes.
Michael qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2003 and moved to Simmons & Simmons in 2005. He is based in London in the capital markets group which forms part of the financial markets department.