Dr Michael Bormann
Michael is the head of our German corporate practice with a focus on corporate transactions, reorganisations and joint ventures. Furthermore, he advises on general corporate law issues, especially corporate governance, capital contributions and capital preservation.
He has great experience in advising in the area of energy and infrastructure industries and the financial sector.
- Recent Work
- advising Metro Group on its equity investment in Yoyo Wallet
- advising BlackRock on taking a stake in German / UK digital investment manager Scalable Capital
- advising Allianz Renewable Energy Fund 2 on the acquisition of a solar portfolio in the British counties Cambridgeshire, Worcestershire and Norfolk
- advising a leading international asset management group on corporate governance issues in relation to the implementation of ESMA remuneration guidelines
- advising Allianz Global Investors on a European-wide reorganisation project including several cross-border mergers
- advising Grünwerke GmbH, a subsidiary of Stadtwerke Düsseldorf AG, on the acquisition of wind farms and photovoltaic projects. Most recently on the acquisition of a wind farm with other public utilities
- advising Ferrostaal Group on corporate law, M&A and joint venture matters e.g. advising on a group-wide reorganisation and the sale of the principal business activities of Flagsol to Spanish industrial contractor TSK
- advising Warsteiner Group on a regular basis in connection to several M&A and corporate law matters. Most recently on the disposal of the Welcome Hotel group to Terra Firma.
After training as an industrial business management assistant (Industriekaufmann), Michael studied law and economics in Göttingen and Heidelberg (PhD). Afterwards, Michael worked with a well-known insolvency administrator for two years.
After working for another major international law firm for three and a half years, Michael joined the corporate team in the Simmons & Simmons Düsseldorf office in May 2006 and became a partner in May 2008.
Michael is regularly recommended in the JUVE Handbook for Corporate and M&A.
JUVE Handbook 2016/2017 quoted competitors which denote him as ‘fast and experienced’. For several years, Michael has been listed in Best Lawyers for corporate law and for the ‘Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice’ since 2016. Legal 500 has quoted clients who say he is a ‘very good and experienced advisor’ as well as a ‘good strategist, strong negotiator and a trusted advisor, especially for sensitive matters’.
Besides his client related work, Michael publishes extensively on corporate, insolvency and accounting law.
He is an author in publications such as Spindler/Stilz (AktG), Wachter (AktG), Gehr-lein/Ekkenga (GmbHG) as well as the Münchener Kommentar on accounting law. Further-more, Michael is a co-editor of a GmbH Handbook.