Melody (Fan) Yang
Melody is a member of the firm’s corporate and commercial department of Simmons & Simmons and focuses her practice on fund investments by institutional investors and high net worth individuals/companies, managed account arrangement, private equity investment, private fund formation and fund regulatory issues. Melody is qualified in PRC, New York State and England and Wales. She is fluent in English and Chinese.
Melody has obtained her LLM from Columbia Law School (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar) and has worked in the firm’s London office (Funds and Asset Management group) for one year.
- Recent Work
- advising China National Council for Social Security Fund on its overseas investment activities through managed account arrangement and brokerage arrangement
- advising Adveq, a Swiss fund of funds, in connection with its China market entry strategy and its strategic cooperation with several local funds in China
- advising Mandarin Capital Partners in connection with a joint venture with Dagong Credit Rating Agency for a credit rating agency business to be established in Europe
- advising various LPs (including one major insurance company and a number of high net worth corporates) in their investment into overseas PE funds domiciled in Delaware or Cayman Islands
- advising multiple leading global hedge funds (including Aspect Capital, a London based hedge fund, and P. Schoenfeld Asset Management LP, an American based hedge fund ) in connection with their China market entry strategies
- advising an endowment fund in investing Ant Financial through a specialised fund vehicle
- advising a number of star-up hedge fund managers based in Asia in their fund formation and dealing with various fund investors
- advising a HK investment arm of a mainland securities company on setting up a PE fund in Cayman Islands to utilise its QFII quota
- advising KPCB China fund, in a number of PE/VC investments
- advising SAIF in a number of PE/VC investments
- advising Resonance Asset Management a water and infrastructure fund (managed by a UK authorised investment manager) in connection with its first investment into a reclaimed water facility in China.
Before joining in the firm in 2010, Melody worked for one of the leading PRC law firms in China for nearly three years. Melody has obtained her LLM from Columbia Law School (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar) and has worked in the firm’s London office for one year.