Mark advises on the tax aspects of a broad range of finance and corporate transactions, particularly advising banks and asset managers on the tax aspects of finance and structured finance transactions, such as repackaging, securitisation, bond issuance, loan origination and trading, trade receivables financing, retail capital markets products, CDOs and CLOs and sharia compliant products. Mark also regularly advises on the tax aspects of fund structuring, flotations, corporate restructuring, fund management and real estate transactions.
Mark is a Chartered Tax Adviser and is a member of the CBI International Tax Committee and the Law Society’s International Tax Committee.
- Recent Work
- advising Citigroup and Merrill Lynch as arrangers and joint lead managers on the tax aspects of a £1.84bn securitisation of residential mortgages by the Co-Operative Bank p.l.c.
- advising a key investor in a £1bn securitisation of Sky mobile handset finance receivables
- advising a group of leading investment banks on the tax aspects of establishing an industry standard approach to documentation of repackaging transactions
- advising the arrangers and lead managers on the tax aspects of a £356m securitisation of residential mortgages lent by Coventry Building Society
- advising a group of leading investment banks on the impact of the Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive on existing and future repackaging transactions
- advising St. James’s Place on the tax aspects of a £100m securitisation of partner loans to financial advisers working for St. James’s Place
- advising on the tax aspects of Royal London Mutual Life Insurance Society’s £400m Tier 2 insurance regulatory capital bond issuance, and subsequent £350m Tier 2 insurance regulatory capital bond issuance
- advising Macqaurie on acquisition financing and related warehousing and securitisation in relation to Bluestone’s purchase of the Basinghall mortgage business, on securitisations of a £258m UK mortgage portfolio and an €186m German mortgage portfolio, and various related acquisitions, warehouse lines and other facilities.
Mark qualified at Simmons & Simmons in 1998 and became a partner in May 2006.