Mark advises on the tax aspects of a broad range of finance and corporate transactions, particularly advising banks and asset managers on the tax aspects of finance and structured finance transactions, such as repackaging, securitisation, bond issuance, loan origination and trading, trade receivables financing, retail capital markets products, CDOs and CLOs and sharia compliant products. Mark also regularly advises on the tax aspects of fund structuring, flotations, corporate restructuring, fund management and real estate transactions.
Mark is a Chartered Tax Adviser and is a member of the CBI international Tax Committee and the Law Society’s International Tax Committee.
- Recent Work
- advising the arrangers on over £1.6bn of securitisations of rated residential mortgage portfolios by Precise Mortgages
- advising the arrangers on the tax aspects of several different rated securitisations by Paragon of UK residential buy to let mortgages totalling over £1.3bn in value
- advising global infrastructure investor Infratil on the tax aspects of its sale of Glasgow Prestwick Airport and Manston Kent Airport
- advising on the tax aspects of Royal London Mutual Life Insurance Society’s £400m Tier 2 insurance regulatory capital bond issuance, and subsequent £350m Tier 2 insurance regulatory capital bond issuance
- advising Macqaurie on acquisition financing and related warehousing and securitisation in relation to Bluestone’s purchase of the Basinghall mortgage business, on securitisations of a £258m UK mortgage portfolio and an EUR 186m German mortgage portfolio, and various related acquisitions, warehouse lines and other facilities
- advising the arrangers on a £450m convertible bond issue by J Sainsbury’s plc
- advising Avenue Europe Management LLP on the securitisation of student accommodation assets through the issue of rated listed notes backed by income flows from the student accommodation (£107m plus subsequent £30m tap issuance)
- advising Norges Bank on a project to undertake synthetic stock lending transactions across 26 different jurisdictions.
Mark qualified at Simmons & Simmons in 1998 and became a partner in May 2006.