Juan Sosa Pons-Sorolla
Juan heads the firm's Tax practice in Spain, advising on all areas of corporate and personal tax. He has broad experience in international tax planning, M&A and property taxation, with specific focus over the past few years on cross-border distressed debt and real estate transactions.
He also has extensive experience in tax and regulatory matters relating to financial services, with particular focus on collective investment schemes and hedge funds, as well as capital markets taxation. In addition, he regularly advises asset managers on tax litigation matters.
- Recent Work
- advising leading Spanish banks in the arrangement of a number of ECP and MTN Programmes for Ibex35 listed Spanish issuers, including most recently Abengoa, Acciona, Enagás, OHL, Iberia or REE
- advising a major Spanish bank in the tax structuring and set up of a proprietary Fin-tech investment fund investing worldwide
- advising private equity fund managers on the tax structuring of distressed Spanish mortgage-secured debt and real estate portfolios, as well as on the tax structuring of joint ventures with local partners for the launch of a loan servicing platforms and asset management businesses in Spain
- advising a number of major US and UK hedge fund managers on a wide range of aspects concerning Spanish nonresidents taxation in relation to financial investments, or Spanish tax implications derived from the marketing and distribution of funds in Spain
- advising several UK investment firms on the tax aspects relating to the setting up and operation of sales branches in Spain
- advising a number of leading global asset managers on tax litigation matters concerning dividend WHT refunds on the basis of EU law and ECJ case law (“Fokus Bank claims” and others)
- advising unit-linked insurers on a wide range of cross-border tax implications and clients personal taxation issues.
Juan joined Simmons & Simmons Madrid in September 2000 and became a partner in May 2017. Prior to that he worked at another law firm.