Jolyon is a banking and finance lawyer with extensive experience in Asia and Europe. Jolyon specialises in debt finance (including banking, acquisition finance and project finance) with a particular focus and reputation in structured trade and commodity finance. He also has experience in financing infrastructure and renewable energy projects.
- Recent Work
- advised a syndicate of banks consisting of ABN AMRO Bank N.V., Natixis and Société Générale on a US$195m prepayment facility for Xinjiang Zhaokun Trading Co. Ltd, an aluminium producer in the Kashgar province of the PRC, to finance the purchase and production of aluminium. This deal was awarded Asia Pacific Deal of the Year 2013 by Trade Finance magazine
- acted for Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited on a pre-export and import revolving facility to Wagner Equipment to finance its Cat mining trucks and equipment import activities in Mongolia. This deal was named as Best Structured Trade Finance Solution by The Asset Asian Awards 2014
- advised an interaction trading bank on a US$80 million prepayment facility and offtake agreement for the purchase of silver ingots in the PRC
- advised multiple international banks including ABN Amro, Standard Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Westpac on commodity and trade financing arrangements including prepayment and pre-export financing, warehouse facilities and inventory financing
- advised international banks including HSBC, RBS, Barclays Bank in relation to trade finance and documentary credits and cross border supply chain finance programmes
- advised international banks and multi-national corporations on the financing arrangements in relation to various infrastructure investments including electricity distribution assets, a mobile network supply platform and a major real estate development project. One of the transactions was acting for the sponsors on the first internationally owned off balance sheet project finance wind farm in China. This deal was nominated as a finalist for Energy & Resources Deal of the Year by the ALB China Law Awards
- advised international banks in relation to debt finance and restructuring transactions including numerous buyouts, senior and mezzanine funding, integrated debt and equity financing structures and secondary debt portfolio sales
- advised on a variety of renewable energy project financing matters including solar, wind farm and biomass projects in South Africa.
Jolyon joined Simmons & Simmons in August of 2014 from another international law firm where he was a partner and headed the Asian Structured Trade & Commodity Finance practice. He is qualified in Hong Kong and England & Wales.
Jolyon has focused his practice on Asian trade and commodity finance and advises both international financial institutions and traders and commodity banks on all aspects of the trade cycle from financing structures and documentation to regulatory requirements.
Jolyon is regularly recognised as a leading finance lawyer and is described as “highly competent, knows his market extremely well and a pleasure to work with” (IFLR 2011). He is also noted as “the key figure on structured trade finance” (Legal 500 Banking and Finance: Hong Kong 2014).
Jolyon is the author of a number of publications including: Defining Trade Finance, a glossary of key terms in trade finance; and Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents - Banking Hong Kong (2013).