Johan has extensive experience in commercial litigation and contracting. He advises and represents several large corporates in large civil fraud matters and high-profile D&O litigation cases and is also active in antitrust litigation and class actions. Johan is a member of the firm’s crime, fraud and investigations group.
He also advises companies on commercial contracts, insurance litigation and professional risk, product liability and UN/EU sanctions regulations.
- Recent Work
- advising and representing a Dutch retail company in a post-M&A dispute regarding the valuation of inventory and related EBITDA
- advising a leading ICT hardware and software company in a post-M&A dispute over VAT related claims
- advising various retail companies on their commercial contracts, including distribution, agency, terms and conditions and outsourcing parts of their business
- advising and representing a leading international company in litigation before the Dutch Court of Appeal in a dispute about a divestment of several of its Dutch business units
- advising a private equity firm on a post-M&A dispute regarding the functionalities of a cloud based charging system for electric cars
- advising and representing a Dutch listed company in a civil fraud matter and investigations into an alleged theft of trade secrets
- advising a shareholder on its legal position in the Converium case regarding a multi-million euro settlement brought under the Dutch Class Action (Financial Settlement) Act
- advising a leading global food company on all UN/EU sanctions regulations regarding a $1.5bn transaction.
Johan joined the firm in 1998, having completed his education at Leiden University. He became a partner in 2010. Johan is lecturer at the mandatory professional education programme of the Dutch Bar Association and at the Law Firm School. Johan regularly publishes on legal developments in The Netherlands in the areas of commercial contracting, litigation, insurance law and mass claims.
In 2002, Johan graduated from the post-graduate corporate law course at the Grotius Academy. He is a member of the Dutch Association for Corporate Litigation (Vereniging voor Corporate Litigation), the Dutch Association for Procedural law (Vereniging voor Procesrecht), the Dutch Association for Insurance Research (Vereniging voor Verzekeringswetenschap) and the Dutch Association for Distribution, Franchise and Agency (Vereniging DFA).
Johan is recommended by Legal 500 for commercial litigation in The Netherlands (2010-2018).