Jean-Luc is a tax partner with particular expertise in mergers and acquisitions, private equity, reorganizations, investment funds, real estate, international taxation and international tax planning, tax audits and tax litigation. A major field of his expertise is in transfer pricing and he also has corporate M&A experience.
His clients include multinational companies, smaller privately held companies and high net worth individuals.
With more than 25 years of experience as a partner, Jean-Luc has been exposed to a wide variety of industry sectors, although he has particular expertise in the pharmaceutical industry. He has provided tax advice to a number of major pharmaceutical companies in almost every field, including mergers and acquisitions and reorganizations, with a particular emphasis on transfer pricing and specific pharmaceutical taxes.
Jean-Luc has also worked on a number of significant tax audits and tax disputes in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Recent Work
- advising GlaxoSmithKline with respect to new transfer pricing policy
- assisting Johnson & Johnson (Janssen-Cilag) in a tax audit, primarily with respect to transfer pricing
- assisting Bayer in disputes with the French authorities with respect to pharmaceutical taxes
- advising Bich family with respect to the potential sale of a private investment
- advising Al Murjan company (Saudi) on the reorganization of real estate investments
- advising Boehringer Ingelheim with respect to French pharmaceutical taxes.
Jean-Luc joined Simmons & Simmons in July 2013. He holds a PhD in Law (Paris X) and is a French and English qualified lawyer.
After being admitted to the Paris Bar in 1977, Jean-Luc has spent most of his career in American law firms, as a partner or managing partner. He has also led Life Sciences departments, in charge of tax and pharmaceutical contributions.
He is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA) and of the International Fiscal Association (IFA).
He is a frequent speaker at the “Leem” (“les entreprises du médicament”), the French professional organization for the pharmaceutical industry, and has also spoken at several seminars in the pharmaceutical sector regarding general transfer pricing matters.