James is a partner in the firm’s Insurance and Construction group and leads the international insurance team. As a litigator, his principal areas of practice are High Court litigation, adjudication and mediation, with a particular focus on professional liability, coverage, reinsurance and construction. His professional liability practice focuses on defending solicitors, construction professionals and brokers. Ranked in Chambers 2016 for both Professional Negligence (Band 1) and Construction (Supplier), James “knows the insurance market really well and manages the team very effectively”. He is described by clients in Legal 500 2016 as ‘personable, dedicated and highly observant’, ‘client focused’ and having ‘fantastic judgement’, with clients commending him for remaining “calm, clear and concise under pressure”.
- Recent Work
- advising a firm of architects on design issues arising out of the construction of an airport in the Middle East
- advising a multi-national firm of solicitors in the defence of a claim arising out of an allegedly fraudulent transaction
- defending a firm of insurance professionals in relation to injunctive proceedings in mainland Europe
- advising project managers on a dispute for £600m arising out of a mining project
- advising excess layer insurers on coverage issues between various layers in relation to an underlying fraud
- advising a leading firm of solicitors on the rectification of a commercial agreement.
James was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1993 and joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in December 2003. He was admitted to the Northern Irish Roll of Solicitors in 2010.