Ian is head of the firm’s dispute resolution practice in the UK. He has over 25 years' experience of dealing with substantial commercial disputes and related investigatory work.
He has a varied commercial litigation practice encompassing both domestic and international disputes, and has acted for clients in the Energy, Life Sciences and TMT sectors. He has extensive experience of fraud and professional negligence claims, and has a particular focus on disputes involving accountants and other professional services firms.
- Recent Work
- Tchenguiz & others vs Grant Thornton UK LLP & others: acting for Grant Thornton in the defence of the claims brought against it by the Tchenguiz brothers
- Autonomy & others vs Lynch & others: acting for the former CFO of Autonomy Corporation in the defence of claims brought against him and the former CEO by Hewlett Packard
- Gilbert v Holms & another: acting in the defence of allegations of fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation in relation to the purchase of shares in a company
- Benedetti vs Sawiris and others,: acting for two of the Defendants in proceedings arising from Europe's then largest leveraged buy- out, in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court
- Pfizer Corporation v Sumitomo Chemical Co, Ltd: representing Sumitomo Chemical in a successful challenge to the jurisdiction of the English High Court in respect of contractual arrangements concerning the manufacture and sale of the company's most profitable product in Japan
- acting for a leading actuarial firm in the defence of professional liability claims
- acting for a Fortune 500 company in the defence of claims brought by a leading German manufacturer arising from a public procurement exercise
- acting for a Ukranian state-owned energy company in commercial court proceedings brought by a US entity, and related jurisdiction issues.
Ian qualified as a solicitor in the dispute resolution department at Simmons & Simmons in 1988 and became a partner in 1998.
Ian is recommended in Chambers as "incisive with excellent technical capability" and in Legal 500 as "very sharp" and as "clear", "thorough" and "strategically sound". He is named in the Legal Business Guide to Legal Experts as a leading practitioner in the field of commercial litigation.