Heiko is a partner in the German tax department in the Frankfurt office, he heads the financial markets practice group in Germany. His practice area is broad based, focusing on acquisitions, restructuring (including company reorganisations), tax-optimised products and cross-border tax planning. Other special areas of advice include the tax aspects of acquisition finance, real estate finance and tax-efficient structured finance transactions (e.g. securities trading and repo transactions). He also advises on the German GAAP and tax aspects of capital markets transactions.
Apart from this, Heiko’s practice area covers the tax-efficient acquisition and financing of non-performing loan portfolios.
- Recent Work
- advising Macquarie Bank International Limited on its €186m residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) transaction
- advising a financial service provider on German tax issues regarding tax-efficient restructuring of bonds
- advising the German based TGE Marine AG on its listing at the London Stock Exchange (AIM)
- advising Eurohypo on the financing of the Alexa Shopping Center in Berlin
- advising major international credit institutions in relation to the tax-efficient restructuring of a derivative transaction.
After studying law at the University of Heidelberg, Heiko qualified as a Rechtsanwalt (German lawyer) in 2000. He was admitted as a qualified tax advisor (Steuerberater) in 2004.
Heiko is recommended as a lawyer in PLC Which lawyer? 2012 for tax in Germany. Chambers Europe cites clients who describe him as a ‘creative and technically very capable lawyer’ (2015) and a ‘very good tax lawyer’ who is widely acknowledged for ‘his depth of knowledge’ (2016).
The leading handbook of German commercial law firms, JUVE Handbook 2015/2016, lists Heiko as a 'frequently recommended' tax lawyer and confirms that the Simmons & Simmons tax team is a 'respected tax practice' that secures its veritable position ‘with a clear focus regarding the advice in asset management, of investment funds and financial services`.
Furthermore Heiko contributes as a co-author to the well-respected commentary on the German Investment Tax Act from Baur/Tappen.