Etienne specializes in dispute resolution. He advises and represents clients in commercial and real estate matters (construction, distibution, lease, acquisitions) in France and internationally (Africa).
He also has significant experience in regulated industries such as the healthcare sector where he regularly represents clients on a large range of disputes (product liability, commercial, advertisement).
He is a member of the firm's crime, fraud and investigations Group and regularly assists or represents companies in criminal cases including product liability, public tenders, corruption or relationship between industry and healthcare professionals. He also advises clients on compliance and anticorruption issues.
- Recent Work
- assisting and representing a US pharmaceutical company within a litigation related to the termination of its distribution contracts in Africa
- assisting a UK listed real estate private fund following the termination of negotiations relating to the sale of its French portfolio
- representing a US industrial company in the opposition to the sale of a plot of land and to the construction of an industrial project
- defending the CEO of the French subsidiary on an international company in the energy sector for facts of corruption committed in Africa
- defending and assisting a major pharmaceutical company within a criminal investigation launched on different grounds including manslaughter, involuntary bodily harm, administration of toxic substances, misleading advertising and corruption
- defending a US entertainment company in the first case of defamation brought in France against a video game
He holds a master’s degree in French Private and Business Law from the University of Paris X and read German Law at the University of Potsdam (LL.M). He also is a graduate of the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris (economic and financial section).
Etienne joined the Paris office of Simmons & Simmons in November 2002.
Legal 500 2016 considers Etienne Kowalski as a key figure in the Dispute resolution and Life Science practices.