Emma is a partner within the financial markets litigation group of our international dispute resolution department. She has acted on a range of major investment banking disputes on both the financial markets and retail banking side and has advised large UK and foreign investment and retail banks, as well as other major financial institutions, on a wide range of issues. In particular Emma has extensive experience of contentious financial services work, including experience of regulatory investigations, enforcement and disputes, in particular involving the FCA where she spent a year on secondment in the Enforcement and Markets Oversight team.
- Recent Work
- successfully acting on behalf of a senior individual in respect of his role as a board director in an investigation by the FCA into whether his behaviour amounted to breaches of certain statements of principle for approved persons, and achieving an outcome of a termination of the enforcement investigation with no further action
- advising a global investment bank in connection with an FCA enforcement investigation and the application of the regulator's statutory powers
- advising various banks in connection with potential market abuse enquiries and algorithmic trading, including from domestic and overseas regulators and exchange platforms
- acting for and advising a leading global bank on settlement and penalty approaches in connection with a substantial investigation by the FCA into principle breaches
- acting as a lead investigator on multiple cases while on secondment within the Enforcement and Markets Oversight team within the FCA
- acting for and advising a leading global bank on a complex internal investigation into rate-setting
- advising a major asset manager in relation to derivative actions in the U.S. Jersey, Guernsey and London
- acting for and advising a leading global bank on an internal investigation relating to multiple potential breaches of internal and regulatory policies.
Emma joined Simmons & Simmons as an associate in March 2005 from the litigation department of a leading international law firm in London, where she also spent six months in their Hong Kong office. Emma has worked within the litigation and regulatory teams of two major investment banks and spent a year on secondment to the FCA as a lead investigator. Emma became a partner in the financial markets litigation group in 2015.
Emma speaks regularly at conferences and in seminars to clients and is responsible for numerous publications including in the CDR, Compliance Complinet and AIMA journal. She works closely with clients and wider industry bodies in responding to FCA Discussion and Consultation Papers to lobby for changes in law and procedure across a range of contentious regulatory issues.