Emily is head of the firm’s Insurance and Construction group in the UK and has particular experience in construction disputes and professional indemnity claims. She has advised insurers and all sides of the construction industry on a wide range of construction and engineering disputes and has pursued and defended claims for delay and associated costs, final accounts, fees and defective works. She has acted in professional negligence claims representing PI Insurers and professional insureds (in particular architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and other construction specialists).
Emily has worked on arbitrations (both domestic and international), court proceedings and adjudications. She has particular expertise on acting in arbitrations involving construction projects in the Middle East where she travels to frequently.
- Recent Work
- acting for a contractor in a series of adjudications with a sub-contractor in relation to a final account dispute including a substantial counterclaim for defective works
- acting for a leading construction company in a professional negligence claim in the Technology and Construction Court in relation to a carbon negative school in England
- acting for a well-known contractor in relation to disputes on a gas processing facility
- successfully defended insurers and their quantity surveying insured in an adjudication in relation to a professional negligence claim arising out of the insured’s alleged failure to issue a Payment Notice and a Pay Less in time
- acting in an international arbitration on behalf of a major civil contractor concerning the design and construction of a sewage treatment plant in Qatar
- represented the successful firm of engineers in the widely reported case concerning a collapse following works to a basement.
Emily sits on the Royal Institute of British Architects Professional Conduct Panel so has a unique insight into complaints made against architects. Emily was invited to join the judging panel for Construction News Specialists Awards where she has judged awards for the past three years.