David specialises in intellectual property matters, with particular expertise in trade marks, copyright and registered and unregistered designs. David works with large and small clients in a diverse range of industries, including FMCGs, fashion, life sciences, agriculture and heavy industry, TMT and the arts.
A solicitor advocate, David also has the benefit of in house experience, having represented The Coca-Cola Company as Trade Mark Counsel for Western Europe in 2003-2005. David received a special commendation from the WORLDLeaders: European IP Awards for his work with The Coca-Cola Company.
In November 2012, David was recognised as the (London) Times Lawyer of the Week. David led the team that won the EU Trade Mark and Design Team of the Year at the MIP Awards 2013.
- Recent Work
- successfully representing Samsung against Apple in design right infringement proceedings before the High Court and Court of Appeal, and at OHIM
- assisting The Coca-Cola Company with brand protection including trade marks and designs in the UK and EU
- representing international and domestic clients before the High Court and Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (formerly the Patents County Court)
- David's new book, European Union Design Law: A Practitioners' Guide, was published by Oxford University Press in December 2012
- co-chair of the INTA Annual Meeting in Hong Kong.
Clients describe David as "one of the most exceptional lawyers around" (WTR 2014). “He’s absolutely an expert in his field… he’s really the best. We love working with him and he is an outstanding attorney.” (MIP IP Stars Handbook 2014). Chambers UK 2015 ranks David for IP as "a pleasure to work with" and a “quintessential authority in his chosen fields”. Legal 500 2014 recommends David as a Leading Individual for Brand Management. David is also listed in The Guide to the World’s Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners, The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers, PLC Which Lawyer, London Super Lawyers Magazine 2013 and has been recognised by readers of Trademark World as an IP Luminary.
David is an elected member of the board of directors of the International Trademark Association (INTA). He also chairs the Designs Team of MARQUES.
A graduate of the universities of Sydney, Oxford and Cambridge, David writes and lectures extensively on intellectual property issues. David is also a domain name dispute arbitrator for the World Intellectual Property Organization, and has been appointed a Notary Public by the Archbishop of Canterbury.