David is the Senior Professional Support Lawyer for Commercial Litigation and is based in our London office. He has wide-ranging experience of commercial disputes and areas of legal risk for corporates, including High Court litigation, arbitration under ICC, LCIA and SCC rules, internal investigations and handling investigations by external authorities. As a qualified solicitor advocate he has first-hand experience of conducting proceedings both in court and in arbitrations.
In addition, David has been involved in many court-supervised insolvency procedures including the administration of Courts Plc, the PPP administration and liquidation of Metronet and the schemes of arrangement for the Marconi group companies.
As a senior professional support lawyer, David is responsible for developing and delivering know-how to clients. He works with clients to identify the most useful products for their own knowledge management and also works as a consultant on client matters. He has also been seconded to a global energy company to help manage its anti-bribery compliance for a period. David is the author of Companies in Difficulty – A Guide for Directors, a contributor to the ICSA Directors’ Handbook and the author of journal articles on a broad range of legal issues. He is a regular speaker at events for clients and at conferences, both in the UK and overseas.
David is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- clients - presentations and training to clients on a broad range of topics including privilege, e-disclosure, jurisdiction disputes, arbitration agreements, the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act and the Bribery Act
- international corporations - advising international corporations on compliance with the UK's Bribery Act
- advising on the validity of settlement offers following a recent series of High Court and Court of Appeal decisions in this area
- presenting to government officials, prosecutors and members of the judiciary of Palestine on anti-corruption legislation and enforcement
- a global energy company - advising a global energy company on a review of its anti- corruption policies across all jurisdictions
- assisting with Simmons & Simmons LLP's work on consultation responses and legal reforms, including on the Shorter and Flexible Trials Schemes and on the Ministry of Justice guidance under the Bribery Act, the final version of which reflected many of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s suggested drafting changes.
David joined Simmons & Simmons in 2010, following eight years in practice at a leading international firm where he also trained. He spent a court term as the Judicial Assistant to the then Vice Chancellor Sir Andrew Morritt in the Court of Appeal in 2001 and also spent six months on secondment in Bratislava, Slovakia and four months at a global energy company. While the majority of David’s casework was for clients in the engineering, aeronautical, energy and telecoms sectors, he also spent six months seconded to the in-house litigation department of a leading investment bank.