Darren specialises in UK and European regulation of buy side and sell side clients, including hedge fund managers, private equity houses, investment banks and broker dealers. He is widely acknowledged as a leading regulatory advisor in the hedge fund sector.
Darren regularly advises a wide range of financial sector clients on all aspects of the law and regulation applicable to the discretionary management of investments, the trading, clearing and settlement of transactions in securities, derivatives and other financial instruments (both on exchange and over the counter), investment banking activities and other financial services.
Darren’s areas of specialism include hedge fund manager regulation, exchange traded derivatives and banking regulation (including capital adequacy requirements).
Darren is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- advising an array of major European and US asset managers on complex insider dealing and market abuse issues (including use of private side lender information, alpha capture systems, sectoral correlation issues, shareholder activism and compliance systems and controls) and assisting clients with their responses to inquiries from EU regulators in relation to their prior trading activities. Darren also runs scenario-based insider dealing and market abuse prevention training sessions for front office staff
- advising a variety of financial services firms on major shareholding and short position disclosure requirements across the globe, applicable disclosure requirements under the UK Takeover Code regime and on compliance with short selling restrictions and trading prohibitions (including in relation to uncovered EU sovereign CDS)
- assisting asset managers with their AIFMD implementation, including advising on variation of permission applications, cross-border marketing into the EU by non EU-AIFMs, “reverse inquiry” issues and compliance with the “skin in the game” requirement for securitisation positions
- advising on soft dollar and bundled brokerage arrangements, including compliance with applicable FCA rules on the use of dealing commissions, analysis of the eligibility of goods and services to be paid for with dealing commissions and advice on the systems and controls that firms should adopt to ensure that they are not paying for “corporate access services” with dealing commissions
- assisting financial services firms with their compliance with FCA rules, including advising on regulatory capital requirements and FCA filings and preparing best execution policies, conflict of interest policies, terms of business, compliance manuals and compliance monitoring programmes for a range of financial sector clients (hedge fund managers, private equity fund managers, investment banks and private banks).
Darren qualified as a solicitor in 1997 and joined Simmons & Simmons in 2001. He became a partner in May 2005 and is based in the financial services group that is part of the firm's financial markets practice.
Darren is recommended in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for his work in relation to financial services regulation and futures.