Carlos Jiménez de Laiglesia
Carlos is the national practice group head for the firm's corporate and commercial department in Spain. Carlos has extensive experience in commercial and corporate law advice. He has a deep understanding of the financial and TMT sectors and particular expertise in dealing with all kinds of mergers and acquisitions, commercial agreements and corporate advice, as well as in restructuring and liquidation of companies.
- Recent Work
- advised the sellers of a financial advisory mid-market specialist with offices in Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin, Mumbai and Shanghai in the acquisition of the company by a Spanish Private Equity. This transaction involved several jurisdictions (US, France and Germany) as the acquisition is global. The team was instructed to lead all the Spanish implications of the sale as experts in M&A matters in Spain
- advised a multinational Spanish banking group in the incorporation of a FinTech fund as an investment vehicle for transnational financing transactions between US and Europe
- advising a leading next generation mobile operator on the incorporation, licensing, granting of numbering and developing of a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) in Spain
- advising a leading provider of Internet broadband network and enterprise business solutions in its worldwide group restructuring process, which imply several company acquisitions as well as a merger process on Spanish territory
- advising Spanish media groups on their acquisitions of companies such as newspapers, tv broadcasters, internet suppliers, distribution companies etc in the sector
- advising a leading Spanish cinema group on the process of takeover by a major Spanish media group, in bankruptcy, through an agreement with the creditors within the insolvency proceedings.
Carlos joined Simmons & Simmons Madrid office as partner in 2007 as a result of the merger between Simmons & Simmons and Mochales & Palacios. He was a partner of Mochales & Palacios since 1992. Previously he worked in the legal department of Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos en Establecimientos Bancarios (1982-1987) and Bancapital, S.A. (1988-1992).
He is a recurring speaker in corporate legal events, author of articles for leading Spanish Law and Business newspapers, and co-author in chapters for corporate cases books.
Carlos was admitted to the Madrid Bar Association in 1983.