Angus is an IP specialist with a particular focus on advising clients on the IP aspects of commercial and corporate transactions in a range of sectors including Financial Institutions and TMT. He also specialises in copyright and breach of confidence/trade secrets disputes arising out of employee moves.
Angus is head of FinTech at Simmons & Simmons and is recognized as a “leading individual
” for FinTech in Legal 500 2018 and one of only four “thought leaders
” in Europe for FinTech in Who’s Who Legal 2018. Clients describe Angus as ‘incredible
’ with ‘a passion that can move mountains
’ (Legal 500) and ‘finely attuned to their needs and great at delivering results
’ (Who’s Who Legal 2018). He is also noted as a ‘key member of the FinTech community
’ (Legal 500).
- Recent Work
- advising the British Business Bank on its consultancy role for HM Treasury under The Small and Medium Sized Business (Finance Platforms) Regulations 2015 regarding the designation of alternative finance platforms
- providing IP advice to Funding Circle in connection with the establishment of a £350m share issuance programme, the listing of a newly incorporated fund on the LSE’s main market
- advising HSBC’s strategic FinTech investment team on its minority investment in Quantexa Limited
- advising GoCompare.com Group on its acquisition of The Global Voucher Group Limited t/a MyVoucherCodes from Monitise Limited
- advising Concordia Healthcare on the US$3.5bn acquisition of Amdipharm Mercury Limited from Cinven
- advising the London Bullion Market Association on the IP licences relating to the new LBMA Gold, Silver and Platinum & Palladium Price benchmarks
- advising a number of FinTech 50 firms including Funding Circle, LendInvest Suade, Cuvva, Railsbank and Osper.
Angus lectures regularly on IP and FinTech issues, including teaching the “IP Aspects of Corporate and Commercial Transactions” module on the Oxford University postgraduate diploma in IP Law and Practice. He is also the Contributing Editor of the FinTech edition of Getting the Deal Through, a publication that answers 50 of the key legal and regulatory questions that arise for businesses operating in the FinTech sector across 23 jurisdictions. He is a Techstars mentor at Barclays’ FinTech Accelerator in London and was a Simmons & Simmons’ representative on the Bank of England’s FinTech Community. Angus is also one of the judges on Nesta’s Open Up Challenge.