Alexandre specialises in arbitration, litigation and dispute resolution principally on behalf of Life Sciences (pharmaceutical, medical devices and biotech) companies and significant players in highly regulated industries. His experience as a litigator before French Courts and arbitral tribunals (ICC, AFA) mainly covers product liability, breach of contract, break off of negotiations, comparative advertising and claim recovery. He is also a member of the firm's Crime, Fraud and Investigations Group.
He also has significant expertise in transactional and licensing negotiations, compliance audits and advice on regulatory matters, advising notably sponsors of clinical trials (including on data protection issues), and major companies in the sector on pricing, reimbursement, advertising and commercial practices. Alexandre is experienced in crisis management and frequently liaises with the French regulatory authorities on behalf of industry players.
Alexandre advises insurers and reinsurers, especially in the fields of professional and product liability. His experience includes regulatory advice (audit of insurance programmes for compliance with French insurance law), risk analysis, coverage analysis, settlement negotiations with the insured, and representation of the insurer (and/or the insured, according to the terms of the insurance policy) before French Courts.
He coordinates the activities of the Intellectual Property team in the Paris office of Simmons & Simmons.
- Recent Work
- advising manufacturers and distributors in relation to product liability matters (products including vaccines, NSAIDs, blood products, medical devices), risk audit and settlement agreements
- advising a major engineering company in arbitration proceedings against its former consortium partner
- advising an insurance company on coverage issues raised by cancellation of a French pop singer's tour
- negotiating and drafting licensing, manufacturing and distribution agreements on behalf of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
- due diligence in a drug acquisition project, focusing on regulatory, litigation and insurance issues.
Alexandre joined Simmons & Simmons in 2002, having spent four years with another international legal network, and became a Partner in 2008. A graduate from the University of Paris, he also read English law at University College London and obtained a postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford. He takes responsibility in recruiting and supervising trainee solicitors within the life sciences team in Paris.
Alexandre frequently publishes articles in French legal journals (Recueil Dalloz, Revue Lamy Droit Civil) and speaks at professional seminars on issues relating to the legal and regulatory environment of healthcare products and activities.