Firm Takes Pride as a Stonewall Top Global Employer
19 Jan 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has been named as a Stonewall Top Global Employer.
The firm is one of eleven best performing employers in Stonewall’s Global Workplace Equality Index 2016. This is the first time that the firm has featured in the Global list, the definitive benchmark of workplace culture for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender staff in multinational organisations.
Notes to editors:
The firm also retains its UK Stonewall Star Performer status, the only law firm to receive this accreditation, and for the second year running.
Stonewall is a charity that works to achieve equality and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. It produces the annual survey and rankings, which showcase UK and Global top employers for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) friendly employees. Simmons & Simmons is one of 758 members of the Diversity Champions Programme run by Stonewall and a founding partner of Stonewall’s Global Diversity Champions, along with IBM, Google, Citi, Thomson Reuters, BP, Freshfields, Proctor & Gamble, RBS and Barclays.
Colin Passmore, Senior Partner and the firm’s Senior Straight Allysaid: "We are very pleased to be ranked as Top Global Employer for the first time. Life remains challenging for LGBT people in some parts of the world. For our part, clients, visitors, staff and partners of Simmons & Simmons will be treated equally where-ever they are in the world. Full stop."
Ruth Hunt, Chief Executive, Stonewall said: "I’d like to extend a huge congratulations to Simmons & Simmons this year, for going above and beyond to ensure its workplace is inclusive of lesbian, gay, bi and trans colleagues and clients, wherever they are in the world. Getting this right is not easy, as not all parts of the world are progressing at the same pace. As a Top Global Employer, Simmons & Simmons have demonstrated their commitment to ensuring that its policies and practices are both fit-for-purpose and as inclusive as possible. This is a huge achievement for them and a fantastic contribution to achieving acceptance without exception for LGBT people around the world."
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com
4. Stonewall first identified Simmons & Simmons as a Star Performer in 2015 as it launched its new programme to bring together top-performing organisations who have consistently demonstrated exemplary practice to support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) staff, leading the development of best practice in Britain and around the world. The promotion to this new level as a Star Performer recognises the contribution and work of the firm as the highest ranked law firm on the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index for the past six years (and the only law firm to reach the Top 10 in the past three years. As one of only a few companies awarded this status, Simmons & Simons will no longer be ranked in the Workplace Equality Index. Instead, alongside a select group of other Star Performer organisations, the firm will now work with Stonewall to lead the industry on pioneering initiatives that will define best practice for tomorrow. From launching global campaigns to revolutionising service delivery, Simmons & Simmons will share its expertise and pave the way for other organisations to follow by mentoring other employers who are working to create a workplace culture that is inclusive of LGBT people.
5. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com.