Simmons & Simmons has demonstrated its commitment to the Middle East for more than 30 years, working for governments, government agencies, banks and financial institutions, major local companies and multinational corporations operating in all main sectors of commerce and industry.
We opened our Qatar office in September 2003 and celebrate our tenth anniversary of a presence in Qatar. We were the first international law firm to be granted a licence to operate independently in Qatar with permission to advise on both Qatar and international law matters. We have extensive experience of advising businesses considering doing business in Qatar, from establishing a local presence through to all aspects of day to day business. We are able to offer clients a “one stop shop” for international and Qatari legal advice in English, Arabic and French and remain one of the few international firms able to advise on local law. We have three partners on the ground in Doha who advise on corporate/commercial, banking, construction and dispute resolution matters.
Al Sabban Property Investments – Dubai
- advising in relation to the financing and purchase of land and construction of three towers at The Pearl, Qatar.
- advising in connection with the Ras Abu Fontas power project in Qatar.
Bayerische Hypo- Und Vereinsbank AG
- advising on a US$70m term loan facility to Qatar shipping company secured by a pledge over the Borrower’s shares in a company listed on the DSM.
Commercial Bank of Qatar
- advising on a US$900m rights and GDR issue
- advising a syndicate of banks led by the Commercial Bank of Qatar on a US$250m loan to finance the development of the St Regis Hotel, Doha
- advising on drafting and negotiating a QAR515m contract financing facility to a major group of companies in Turkey
- advising a syndicate of banks led by the Commercial Bank of Qatar on a US$300m Sukuk Al Musharakah financing to United Development Company for the development of the Qanat Quartier district at The Pearl, Qatar.
- advising a leading bank on the construction of its new headquarters in Doha (ongoing)
- advising on the construction of a chemical plant in Qatar (ongoing)
- advising a leading local business group on a review of its standard EPC contract
- advising a leading international engineering company on the implications of using English law to govern an EPC contract based on the Orgalime Turnkey Contract
- advising a leading local business on a dispute in relation to the design of a new residential development
- advising a leading local business on a dispute in relation to the handover of a prestigious new residential development
- advising a leading local business group on a dispute in relation to variation orders for a large scale new housing project
- advising a leading local business group on the restructuring of construction and financing contracts following defaults by the prime contractor
- advising a leading international industrial/engineering company acting as a subcontractor in the power sector on various disputes with the prime contractor
- advising an international engineering company on a dispute with its subcontractor in relation to a new master development project.
- advising on its US$1bn European Medium Term Note Programme listed on the London Stock Exchange
- advising Doha Bank and Arab Bank on a US$95m syndicated term loan agreement to Platinum Tower LLC for the building of a tower in Doha.
- advising as global counsel in relation to its real estate projects in Qatar and in the region.
Gulf Cement Company
- advising on an Islamic project finance structure of US$235m for the building of a large scale cement plant in Qatar.
International Bank of Qatar
- advising on a multicurrency term loan facility in an aggregate amount of QAR185m to Darwish Group secured by a pledge over the borrower’s shares in companies listed on the DSM
- advising on a short term loan facility in an aggregate amount of QAR220m to Qatar Automobiles Company secured by a pledge over shares in companies listed on the DSM and a mortgage over a land in Qatar
- advising on drafting and finalising all their corporate, trade finance and retail banking documents
- advising on a QAR150m Murabaha financing to Nuzul Holding BSC in Bahrain.
- advising numerous international companies on setting up in Qatar, including in the Qatar Financial Centre (QFC) and the Qatar Science and Technology Park.
International oil & gas supermajor
- advising on day to day issues.
Investec Bank (UK) Limited
- advising on a US$160m facility for the acquisition of six plots on the Pearl Island project in Qatar.
- advising in respect of its Middle East subsidiaries as part of their listing on the London Stock Exchange.
Major International Bank
- advising on a US$240m Sukuk offering in Qatar.
Ministry of Economy and Commerce
- advising on the establishment of the Qatar Financial Centre (QFC) and in relation to the proposed reform of the Doha Securities Market.
- advising on the US$350m acquisition of two upstream subsidiaries of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation in Qatar.
Qatar First Investment Bank
- advising this QFC incorporated Islamic bank on regulatory matters.
Qatar Investment Authority
- advising on the US$1bn joint venture with NYSE Euronext in respect of the Doha Securities Market.
Qatar National Bank
- advising on the £135m acquisition of Ansbacher Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of First Rand, one of South Africa’s major financial institutions.
- advising on drafting and negotiating a QAR175m working capital facility to an aviation company in Kuwait secured by a mortgage over three jet aircraft.
Qatar Petroleum International
- advising on various overseas projects.
Qatar Real Estate Investment Company
- drafting and negotiating of long term leases of housing facilities to various oil and gas company tenants.
Qatargas 1 LNG project
- advising the security trustee for both the upstream and downstream phases of this project.
- advising QIPCO on the QAR440m shares acquisition of Mannai Corporation QSC.
- advising on a variety of matters, including all aspects of the liberalisation of the telecommunications regime and the introduction of competition in Qatar.
Ras Abu Fontas A1 Desalination Plant
- advising the lenders on the project and Islamic financing for this water project in Qatar.
Ras Laffan “A” IWPP
- providing ongoing advice.
Ras Laffan “C” IWPP
- advising an international consortium on their bid to develop a water and power project in Qatar.
Resorts Development Company
- advising RDC, as owner, on the development of the St Regis Hotel in Doha.
- advising on Qatar’s first US$137m Sukuk Al Musharakah financing for the building of a high end mixed use development in Doha.
- advising in their capacity as financial advisor and placing agent on a US$500m capital raising for Qatar First Investment Bank, a new Islamic bank established in the Qatar Financial Centre.
- advising on the acquisition of 49% of the share capital in Al Doha Elevators.
Seament Holding SA
- advising in relation to an acquisition in Qatar.
Topaz Energy & Marine
- advising Topaz, as purchaser, on the leveraged acquisition of 100% of the share capital in Doha Marine Services, and the separate acquisition of Doha Marine’s fleet of 14 ships.