Our Belgian law team advises primarily on Belgian and EU and competition law. We act for a broad range of clients including multinational corporates and financial institutions. Our Belgian law team advises on a range of matters involving corporate, corporate finance, financial services, dispute resolution, employment and employee benefits, intellectual property and environmental law.
The EU, competition & regulatory team provides a comprehensive service in relation to competition law (merger control, cartel investigations, leniency applications), EU State aid and public procurement law, and customs and international trade law. The team frequently represents clients before the EU and national courts as well as before the European Commission and national competition authorities.
We work closely with our international network of offices and our clients benefit from our long established reputation in the Belgian market and integrated international network.
Credit card business acquisition
- acting on the acquisition of a credit card business in Benelux through a share purchase agreement and the financing of the deal by way of securitisation of receivables, and advising on related regulatory, consumer credit, insurance brokerage and data protection issues.
EU vitamin investigations
- acting for one of the largest Japanese pharmaceutical companies in the EU's vitamins investigation.
International airline - noise control legislation
- advising an international airline on noise control legislation at Brussels airport and taking proceedings before the Council of State seeking annulment of this legislation.
International tobacco company
- advising on the incorporation of a tobacco company's Belgian subsidiary and on various aspects of its operations, including intellectual property, commercial and sales promotion issues.
Major US pharmaceutical company
- representing a major US pharmaceutical development company on the acquisition of a Belgian target operating clinical research laboratories.
Merger control clearances
- obtaining pan-European merger control clearances for a joint venture between a leading French bank and a state utility in the context of the liberalisation of European energy markets.
Multinational brewing company
- advising a major multinational brewing company on Belgian law aspects of its acquisition financing.
Public Private Partnerships
- advising on state aid approval in complex public private partnerships (PPPs).
Stock based compensation plans
- assisting and advising various US and UK multinational corporations on introducing and implementing stock based compensation plans in their Belgian subsidiary operations.
US based IT companies
- advising US based IT companies on merger and competition notifications to the European Commission.
Various construction projects
- advising and assisting a multinational corporation in settling disputes arising out of construction projects in Belgium.