Paul is Head of the capital markets group that is part of the financial markets department. Paul's experience is principally on advising major investment banks, in Europe and in Asia, on a wide variety of debt capital markets transactions, complex and innovative structured debt products, and all aspects of derivatives transactions (and in particular, credit and equity derivatives).
- Recent Work
- advising a large number of international investment banks on a wide range of structured products, covering all asset classes (including credit, equity, funds and commodities)
- advising on the establishment of structured debt programmes
- advising on all forms of bespoke structured financings (ranging from OTC derivatives to structured repo trades to margin loans)
- advising on structured and plain vanilla MTN issuance
- advising on bespoke OTC derivatives
- advising on restructurings of structured debt issues
- advising investment banks as arrangers on a large number of convertible and exchangeable bonds, including: (1) Sun Hung Kai Investment Sevices Limited on the issue by Garden Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Beverage, which was the first convertible bond to be denominated in RMB; and (2) the joint bookrunners on the issue by China Overseas Holdings Limited of a USD500 million exchangeable bond
- advising on prime services, such as prime brokerage arrangements.
Paul worked in the London office until November 2000, including spending time on secondment with two major investment banks. He then relocated to the Simmons & Simmons financial markets department in Hong Kong in November 2000, before moving to the Tokyo office in April 2002 to establish the financial markets practice there. In January 2005, Paul returned to the financial markets department in Hong Kong, before relocating back to the London office in August 2014.
Paul has been recognised as a "Leading Individual" for Structured Finance & Securitisation in Asia Pacific Legal 500 for the last six years, and the 2014 Edition states that “Paul Browne’s deep knowledge of the Asian market is hard to find”.
Paul has been recognised as a "Leading Individual" for Derivatives and Structured Products in Chambers Asia Pacific also for the last six years, and is described as a lawyer "who understands the relevant commercial imperatives" and is "lauded for his excellent client service, responsiveness and technical skills".
Paul is the Winner of International Law Office Client Choice Award, both in 2012 and in 2013 - Securitisation and Structured Finance (Hong Kong).