Adrian advises on a wide range of intellectual property and related commercial matters with particular emphasis on registered trade marks, passing-off, copyright and designs, including enforcement and other contentious work in relation to brands. Adrian’s practice includes advising and acting for household names in a number of different sectors including consumer products, financial services, TMT, life sciences and energy & infrastructure. A significant part of Adrian’s practice is in advising on UK, European and global trade mark (and domain name) clearance, registration, enforcement, conflict resolution (oppositions/revocations) and portfolio management. Adrian also specialises in advising on complex commercial IP exploitation arrangements.
Adrian has been a long standing member of the Trade Mark Law & Practice team within MARQUES - The Association of European Trade Mark Owners and is a member of both INTA and PTMG (The Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group. He often speaks externally on trademarks and other issues, including at the 2015, IBC Informa Pharmaceutical Law Academy in Cambridge and both the upcoming MARQUES and PTMG conferences in September and October 2015 respectively.
Adrian is a contributing author of World Intellectual Property Rights & Remedies (Oceana/OUP) and of Intellectual Property in the Life Sciences (Globe Law & Business)
- Recent Work
- acting for Cytochroma, Inc and its successor in title, Opko Ireland Global Holdings Ltd in an important case concerning registration of a trade mark (opposed by Teva) which has now involved 3 appeals to the EU General Court and one appeal to the EU Court of Justice
- assisting Hugo Boss in a range of actions for the protection of its famous stable of brands, such as BOSS, HUGO BOSS and others against counterfeit products, online infringements and against registration of conflicting third party trade marks
- advising Theravance Biopharma Inc in connection with all aspects of its global trade mark portfolio, including clearance and registration of new pharmaceutical product brand names and promotional messages , conflict resolution internationally, assignments and other portfolio maintenance
- advising E & J Gallo Winery on a wide range of significant matters concerning trade marks and other IP issues in UK and Europe
- acting for a number of major hedge funds on a wide variety of IP matters, ranging from clearance, protection and conflict resolution concerning brands, through to highly complexarrangements for the holding and exploitation of IP.
Adrian trained with Simmons & Simmons and was appointed as a partner in the London office in October 2004.
Adrian is a member of the Trade Mark Law and Practice Team within MARQUES (the Association of European Trade Mark Owners) and is a member of the Pharmaceutical and Trade Marks Group and INTA.
Adrian speaks externally on a range of issues, e.g. Adrian spoke on the subject of "Trade Marks and Domain Names in Mergers and Acquisitions" at the 2011 INTA Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
Adrian is recognised in "Legal Experts 2011" and is recommended in PLC's "Cross Border IP in Business Transactions Handbook".