Advising on $300m Acquisition of Anglo American Norte
28 Sep 2015
International law firm Simmons & Simmons advised a consortium of investors led by Audley Capital Advisors LLP (“Audley Capital”), with Orion Mine Finance (“Orion”) as the principal co-investor, on the acquisition of Anglo American Norte S.A – comprised of the Mantoverde and Mantos Blancos copper mines in northern Chile – from Anglo American plc for an up-front cash consideration of $300m US dollars.
The total consideration payable is up to $500m US dollars contingent upon factors including the average LME (London Metals Exchange) copper price performance and any future decision to pursue the sulphide life extension of the Mantoverde mine.
Corporate partner, Colin Bole commented: “We are very pleased to have worked with Orion and Audley Capital on the Anglo American Norte acquisition, and also with Orion on several other significant corporate and financing matters over the last couple of years. One of the firm’s specialist sectors is energy & infrastructure and our corporate, finance and projects experience in mining and natural resources transactions is a key strength of our sector team”.
Dov Lader, Deputy General Counsel at Orion Resource Partners said: “We are very grateful to the Simmons & Simmons team for all of their hard work, advice and assistance on the Anglo American Norte and EMED transactions. We enjoy working with Simmons & Simmons – their advice is always of the highest quality, delivered in a calm, constructive and commercial manner”.
Corporate partners Colin Bole and Isabella Roberts led the Simmons & Simmons team which included corporate associates Lesley Olsen, Tim Wass, Phoebe So and Stephanie Nembhard-Rogers, tax partners Nick Cronkshaw, Darren Oswick and associate Zoe Arnautov, banking and finance partners John Sayers, Pierre-Regis Dukmedjian (Luxembourg) and associate Dohn Yu, environmental partner Steve McNab, projects partners Patrick Wallace, Iain Duncan and associates Rose-Anna Daukes, Simon Kenolty and Philip Stevens, anti-trust partner Peter Broadhurst and associate Gillian Christie, employment partner Andrea Finn and associate Fraser Cocking and pensions and incentives partners Danny Tsang, Ian Fraser and associates Ed Smith and Bronwen Colgan.
Financial markets and regulatory partner, Jonathan Melrose, is client partner for Orion. The firm has previously advised Orion in connection with its investment in, and the provision of finance to, AIM listed, Europe-based, minerals development and exploration company EMED Mining Public Limited (“EMED”), including on an equity subscription in August 2014, an unsecured debt bridging facility in December 2014 and EMED’s subscription, placing and open offer and capitalisation of the bridging facility and convertible loan notes in May 2015.
Corporate partner Colin Bole also led the Simmons & Simmons team advising on these transactions, which included banking and finance partner James Bresslaw and associate Frederick Morton, corporate partners Mark Dewar, Carlos Jimenez de Laiglesia (Madrid) and associates Danielle Di Petro and Tom Burgoo and projects partner Iain Duncan and associate Rose-Anna Daukes.
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
- Clients of our corporate practice include national and multinational corporations, leading financial institutions, asset managers and investment funds, governments and industry bodies. With a team of over 250 corporate lawyers based across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we are known for handling complex and innovative domestic and cross-border transactions. Core areas of focus for the UK corporate practice include mergers & acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and strategic alliances, demergers and corporate restructurings, auction sales, investments by hedge funds, commercial and consumer law, corporate governance and general corporate advisory. The ability to service clients operating in highly regulated markets is a common theme across all our work.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or at email@example.com.