13 Nov 2012
Simmons & Simmons in Association with TMI Associates Advises Kuroda on Jena Tec Acquisition
Simmons & Simmons in association with TMI Associates has advised Japanese technological firm Kuroda Precision Industries ("Kuroda") on its acquisition of the Jena Tec division of Avingtrans Plc.
Kuroda is a designer and manufacturer of precision components and systems including ball screws, press tools, gauges, tool holding system, machine tool and measuring systems.
With operations in Germany, the UK, USA and China, Jena Tec designs and manufactures high quality precision ballscrews, spindles and linear motion actuation system, supplying the machine tool, automation and medical industries throughout Europe and North America.
The acquisition is the first cross-border M&A transaction for Kuroda, supported by the unique alliance between Simmons & Simmons and leading Japanese law firm TMI Associates.
Through its combined specialist resources both in and outside Japan, the joint venture between Simmons & Simmons and TMI Associates provides its clients with full-service, multi-jurisdictional advice across all areas of law as well as a fully bilingual English and Japanese language service.
The team was led in Tokyo by TMI Partner Nobuyuki Watanabe, Associate Yu Hosaka and Simmons & Simmons Japan Country Head Jason Daniel, in London by Corporate Partner Ed Baker, Corporate Associates Nick Ramage, Rachel Lewis and Makiko Yamamoto and Tax Associate Zoe Feller, and in Germany by Frank Hollstein, Rechtsanwalt.
Commenting on the transaction, Jason Daniel said: “We are very pleased to have supported Kuroda Precision Industries on this, the first international acquisition it has made in its 87-year history, and through our joint venture to have been able to offer the resources of our multi-jurisdictional team.”
Notes to editors:
1. Simmons & Simmons is a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. Simmons & Simmons has a joint venture in Tokyo with major Japanese firm TMI Associates. Established in 2001, it is the fore-running alliance between a major Japanese law firm and a major international law firm. Together, Simmons & Simmons in association with TMI Associates has over 500 staff in Tokyo, including over 360 legal staff. The great majority of these are qualified to advise on Japanese law, meaning that Simmons & Simmons in association with TMI Associates is one of the very few legal services offerings which is able to deliver the full range of Japanese legal services in an international context.
5. The international corporate and commercial practice at Simmons & Simmons comprises over 200 legal staff of which 55 are partners. It advises on the whole range of M&A, equity capital markets and private equity transactions as well as other corporate and commercial law matters for listed and unlisted companies on an international basis. In addition, it advises governments, financiers and contractors on private financings, partnering, procurement, outsourcing, and joint ventures.
6. For further information, please contact Daniela Conte, Senior Communications & PR Manager on +44 207 825 4411 or at email@example.com Sarah Cannon, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.